Sunday, May 30, 2004

A Teak fridge

Just looking at all of the recent posts which seem to chronicle a mutual ineptitude that I think is encouraging. But anyway, like a child acrobat, here I am. Da-Da!

Being a blogger novice I hadn't realised that blogs have themes, is it a bit like .. umm .. is it like ummmm ... is that 'cos there is a readership? Sorta like if Home Beautiful suddenly started filling its pages with Motorcars. Is it because it might confuse things?

Cos, if so, I suppose I'd better read deeper back across the posts to get a feel for CutWrapCrash .. but it sounds good. Like a sandwich violently expelled from a schoolbag. CUT WRAP CRASH.

School anecdotes? Hard Days From Memory. Strange Episodes that involve sandwiches... Ok.

I remember listening to some shrimp farmers in south Sulawesi that Suddenly got rich and didn't trust banks so they stored their money in Electrical appliances. They had hair dryers and toasters and microwave ovens, but the really prized appliance was the fridge. The only problem being that they didn't have enough ready power (they used a small generator) to use their appliances so they were more or less just sitting there, nothing but stored wealth.

Anyway, cos fridges were so vaunted, but yet useless, one of the farmers ordered a teak fridge to be made from one of the local artisans, It's only a small stretch to go from a useless but potentially useful fridge to one that is useless altogether as a fridge. So he had a teak fridge made. He was very proud of his teak fridge and invited people over to marvel at it. It was a very beautiful teak fridge in a way that you might imagine a teak fridge could be.

I'd heard about this teak fridge and thought it sounded amazing. I wanted to see the teak fridge. So I asked about it. But it seemed the farmer was away. They all spent a lot of time in Korea, because that was where all the shrimp farmers got their supplies. After a few unsuccesful attempts to see the teak fridge I said to one of the farmers that I was disappointed about not being able to see the fridge, given that it was made of teak and he replied that yes, it was a disappointment because inside it - and this was new ground for me as I'd never stopped to wonder about what was inside the teak fridge - he kept many sandwiches.

I remember that. Many sanwiches. Not just one or two, but many,

Wow, what a fridge, The one thing I never wondered at the time was why they never bought a bigger generator.

I hope you've all got many stories about fridges too. You google "fridge" and there is not nearly enough quality literature on the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home