Thursday, June 17, 2004

The Life and Death of Kunst

I just wrote this a moment ago and pressed "Posting" rather than "Publish Post" and it disappeared. It must have been too close to reality in the Schillerian way, say:

"Der Schein soll nie die Wirklichkeit erreichen, und siegt Natur, so muss die Kunst entweichen."

This was translated as: The appearance should never reach reality and if nature wins art must disappear.

Which I don't properly understand, so I'm throwing it to question. I read it as - the created object/ thing should never too closely resemble that in nature, and if it does, then there is no room for art.

That art requires a certain level of abstraction to live and prosper.

Anyway, I think I like it. My post though was about The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, which I saw today. It had a line that I really like. Pete's just been rejected for having a rough head, great for radio, by various casting agents. He's upset but reflecting on having wife-kid-radio gig, and should be satisfied with this. He mentions this to his very ambitious mother. Mum says: "But Peter! I didn't bring you up to be content!"

I'm hoping to post this now, contentedly, with the extra quote to console me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home